Monday, June 3, 2013

Threat of a Taxi Strike?

For the past couple of weeks the public bus system has been shut down in Port Elizabeth. The workers for the bus system are on strike in hopes of a pay increase. This means the only transportation for residents outside the city of Port Elizabeth who do not own cars to commute into town is via South African Taxis.

These taxis are not what you would classically consider your yellow cabs back in the United States. More like mini buses, they can cram 13-16 and are warriors on the road. Obviously, the higher the passenger count, the more money the drivers make. So, by all means necessary they are always on the look-out for more passengers to climb aboard.
South African Taxi, almost never in such pristine condition
 If this means blocking two lanes, so that a mama can cross the street to board the taxi, heyyy no problem. They will swerve in and out of traffic to make sure that they get to their location in the least amount of time. At first I thought it was to be as efficient as possible and to outperform other taxis, however now I am not so sure. I believe the satisfaction of outmaneuvering mere mortals in cars has become a game more addicting than money could buy. Unfortunately, I must say that I have participated in their little game and have tried to hold me ground, albeit in my small, Chevy Spark. I must admit there is great pride in disallowing a taxi that has just cut you off to get back in front of you. Maybe not the wisest choice, but it is actually wiser than taking the conservative stance and letting the taxis drive all over you. Upon returning to the United States, I know that I will need to re-acclimate to the sanity of...Washington D.C traffic...wait...well you know what I mean. 

Another great/hilarious part of the autonomous taxis is their lack of providing any information on where they are going. Because there is no indication of their destination,  a little man is needed to audibly let the surrounding world be aware of the taxis proceedings. With arms outstretched he constantly yells at passerby's with the hopes of gaining another client. KORSTEENN KORSTEENNN. Once again, I cannot always let this perfect opportunity slip by to have some fun in their game. There have been times that I have been walking down the street and will provide every indication that I am interested in hitching a ride, you know the common signs: mouth agape, eyes wide and a large friendly smile. When the taxi's yeller (I am not sure what his proper name is) sees that he might have another victim, I sadly shake my head and allow the taxi to move on.

Another important facet of the South African taxi is that a great percentage of the drives do not actually possess a South African Driver's license and are therefore not only driving illegally, but are carrying hard working citizens who need to get to work. Unfortunately, the crack down on these illegal drivers has not occurred because many of the owners of the taxis are in cahoots with the police force. Another sad reality of corruption in the country that must be addressed.

Two weeks back their were murmurs from many of my colleagues who get to work via taxi that the taxis would be going on strike in the afternoon. Again, to protest for wage increases. This would be a serious problem because if the taxis go on strike than there is absolutely no way for many people to get to work, because all public transportation would be shut down. I felt for my colleagues and asked them how they thought that they would get home. After coming up with different ideas, including sleeping in the office overnight, I offered to take them home with GRS car. However, they told me a story I could hardly believe.

They said that if a vehicle is driving in the township with more than two passengers while taxis are on strike, taxi drivers and their squawkers(a much better term for yell) would throw rocks and other not so nice things at the cars to speed up the process of their strike and to not let anyone else make a profit while they are striking. Astonished, I could not believe the measures and the control that the taxis could have on an entire population if they really went on strike.

As the 1pm deadline for the strike drew near, apprehension was at its highest. However, when the deadline passed we learned that the taxis decided not to strike. Some of my coworkers said there was no way they could strike while the buses were not in service because they are making a lot more money with almost double the amount of customers every morning and evening. 

Another experience that I am quickly soon to forget of my time here in South Africa.

For those who are interested in wars that taxi drivers have been a part of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_wars_in_South_Africa

1 comment:

  1. BE CAREFUL driving if the taxis go on strike!!!
    No seriously, those were good stories and really helps those of us in the USA appreciate some of the everyday hardships faced halfway around the world.
    love, dad

    ReplyDelete