Sunday, June 17, 2018

How Much More-Sermon


 Some of you probably know the feeling when Pastor Erik asks you to help out with something. It may come in the form of a late night email announcing your volunteer role in tomorrow’s morning service or a telephone call catching you off guard to help out with something. Well, as a result of one those requests, I am standing before you today providing this sermon.

Will you pray with me:

PRAYER.


When Erik asked me to preach on Father’s day, a three-way battle waged in my cranium: One part said, “No ways man. You do not have the skill nor stage presence to preach in front of everyone.” Another part said, “that could be fun, but you do not have anything meaningful to say. The final third, in a calm, quiet voice said: “Here I am. Allow my word to speak through you. It does not matter what your skills and abilities are, better yet I can shine brighter when you allow me to speak more through you.” Thank the Lord for allowing that third portion to gain control and shine through.

All good sermons start with a story, so here we go. I work as an occupational therapist. And no, that does not mean that I help people get jobs. I help individuals complete their daily tasks, or “occupations” that may be hindered by an injury or diagnosis. I am a pediatric occupational therapist working with children, mostly around the context of play. So, it is pretty great that I get to help kids learn how to play all day! Except, the days when my kiddos do not want to play and then things can get a little dodgy. Working through transitions, temper tantrums, and getting along with others. As a new parent, I have a lot to look forward to. On this particular day, the tantrums were a little longer, a little louder, and a lot more prevalent. I work from 8-630, so tantrum after tantrum can add up after a long day. Also, things weren’t going well with my boss and I really felt a weight on my shoulder when leaving the clinic. The drive home is usually a time to decompress, but it just seemed like so much was added onto each other that I couldn’t quite decompress like usual. Upon leaving the clinic, my routine usually involved giving Haley a call at home to let her know that I am on my way home and a little recap of the day. She was unusually reserved when talking about the day, and I did not think too much about it. Still, ruminating over the stress and burdens of the day I opened the door to find Haley standing there, beaming at me. She didn’t say a word, she just took my hand and led me into the next room. There on the sink was a plus sign, a positive pregnancy test.

And the most instantaneous feeling over swept my body. The weight, stress, and burdens of the day were lifted from my shoulders, completely evaporated. In that moment, nothing else mattered. I looked over at my wife, tears streaming down her face. Tears of joy that we would have the opportunity to raise a child.


As our excitement over the next few months grew, so did Haley’s belly, as did my feelings of terror that I had absolutely no idea how to be a father. Mom’s get 9 months to truly prepare for what is going to happen, father’s get 9 months to cruise before the big day of birth. However, when you see your baby for the first time, you just have this feeling that everything will work out.

I do want to be cognizant of those who may find this day to be bittersweet either due to pain or loss. I pray that the Lord enters into that space for you today.

The rest of the sermon is dedicated to my son, Jacoby. Unfortunately, he only understands Spanish right now, so we will have to translate when we get home, probably between a nap and bowel movement.


Dear Jacoby,

If my talents are anywhere near Pastor Erik’s, this message should put you straight to sleep. However, I hope you hear these words for years to come.

Your mother and I are privileged to be your parents. We do not take this responsibility lightly. In just three short months, we have been able see you grow, smile, and develop quite strong neck muscles. You make us very proud. But we know that there will be growing pains as you make your way in this world.

We pray that you will feel our love, but in a much greater sense know the Father’s love for you.

One of my favorite set of verses in the Bible deals with the juxtaposition between the way the Lord cares for the earth and for His people.  They are usually framed, as “How much more.”

The first lesson that I would like you to know Jacoby, is that the Lord is a provider.

If you would please turn with me to (Matthew 6:26-27)

Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

Additionally, here is another verse: Matthew 6:28-30

“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not [c]arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?


The Lord has always been gracious to our family, but we seem to always fall into the trap of trying to rely on our own strength.  Before you were born, your mother and I lived in California for 3 months as part of one of my internships for school. I was accepted for a fieldwork in Torrance, CA right outside of Los Angeles, but your mother and I had no idea how we could afford to live in the area for just 3 short months. I can clearly remember the anxiety and worry that built as we prepared for our journey. Through prayer, we decided to reach out to several churches in the area and ended up connecting with a lovely lady named Leslie who took us in for 3 months. Not only did we get along splendidly, we were invited to her daughter’s wedding, she traveled to visit us here in Charleston and has taken the role as our third mother (your third grandmother!) The Lord provided for us in a much greater way then we ever could. Even with this knowledge, it is a daily struggle to not rely on our own strength to provide for the future. Remember, that your heavenly father will always provide for you.

Turn with me to:
Luke 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

The second truth that I hope you understand of your heavenly Father is his forgiveness. As you read the scriptures of the Old Testament you will continually see the Israelites turn their back on the Lord, create idols, and disobey the Father. However, his love for us never ends and he pursued his people all the way to sending his son to die on a cross.

As you learn this lesson of forgiveness, I hope parts of your childhood do not reflect your father’s. I grew up the second child of a family of 4 children. I have a younger sister and brother and an older brother. My goal in life was to needle and annoy my older brother as much as possible. I realize now that I was seeking his attention, but at the time I just loved getting him into trouble. It usually worked because I knew how irritated he could get. If my parents were trying to understand what happened between us, they would sit the two of us down and ask what happened. My brother would be so worked up, he would get both of my parents worked up over him being worked up…and I would quietly sit in the corner, fading out of the room, ever so slowly.

This plan seemed to work great most of the time, except one day I was in his room while he was sitting on the bed reading a book (per usual) and nothing seemed to bother him. He just ignored me to the point where I had to up my game a little bit more. I ended up lying on the floor screaming for “David to stop hurting me” while he calmly sat on the bed. Little did I know, that my mother was silently standing at the doorway watching this all transpire. For some odd reason, she never seemed to believe my side of the story after that.

Jacoby--All of that said, you are going to sin and mess up and require forgiveness from your mother and I, but there will be times when your sin will only be seen by our heavenly father. Our prayer is that you understand his ultimate forgiveness for you.  

Finally, I hope you understand the unconditional love that your father has for you.

Please turn with me to:

Ephesians: 3:17-19
That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

One of my favorite songs growing up is Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin. It is a song that you, Jacoby have already heard over a dozen times, because it is one of the only songs that I know all the words to. Haley is surprised at how much I love this song because of how sad it is. I will spare you the embarrassment of singing, but here are the opening lyrics.

A child arrived just the other day
Came into the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking before I knew it, and as he grew
He said I want to be like you dad, you know I’m going to be just like you.

I was drawn to this song because of how much I wanted to be like my father, your grandfather. He served in the Air Force for 27 years and I always looked up to him. One of my favorite attributes of my father was his ability to be strong and professional in uniform and then come home, take off his uniform get down on the floor and be goofy, playful, and loving to all of us. As I grew, I continued to idolize him, but he would always remind me that he could never live up to my expectations, but our heavenly Father could.

As the song progresses, the longing for love from the father from the son switches roles.  Here are the lyrics from the father’s perspective:

I’ve long since retired, my son’s moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
I said I’d love to see you if you don’t mind,
He said I’d love to dad if I could find the time.
You see the new job’s a hassle and the kids have the flu
But its sure nice talking to you dad, its been sure nice talking to you.
And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me, he’d grown up just like me, my boy was just like me.

I loved the portrayal and realism of how life can get in the way of our love for others. And I know that as you grow up Jacoby, we will have a special bond, and I hope that I can be a role model for you, however I know that I will fail, and you will fail me. But, hear this good news. Your heavenly father’s love for you is unconditional, and will never change. My prayer is that you will understand his character and fall deeply in love with Him. 

In this world of darkness, we pray that the light of the world through Christ would shine strongly in you. That our father takes you to the places were shadows of sin will evaporate because of your love for Him.

I offer it to you in the name of the father, and the son, and the Holy Spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment