Monday, July 30, 2012

The Story of my Internship


I want to take some time to let everyone know how I came to learn about this internship. 

It all started with my older brother, David. As some of you may know my older brother David was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system) during his senior year at William and Mary. However, learning his diagnosis was never so simple. David started developing itching all over his body before the beginning of his senior year.  He would scratch his body, but without any apparent reason.  Doctor appointments proved fruitless as a rash that might explain the itching was never found. As the days, weeks, and months continued a diagnosis still eluded us. Also, the itching was taking its toll on David. He could not get to sleep until 3 or 4 in the morning as he spent his restless nights endlessly scratching. He couldn't concentrate in the classroom because he was either itching or severely sleep deprived. I was away at Virginia Tech and felt helpless in the situation as did the rest of the family. I know my parents spent many sleepless nights trying to figure out what to do in what seemed an impossible situation. David was fading fast and all we really wanted was a diagnosis, no matter what it might be. We wanted answers. 

A minor segue in this story is our family's love for the TV show Survivor. Ever since the second season we have religiously sat down every week to watch the show as a family (yes, we still watch survivor even though the rest of America has moved on). The mix of competition, exotic locations, the psychology of new-found relationships, deceit, and honesty all somehow connected with our family. I don't know if my dad's military background has anything to do with our fascination with Survivor, but it was truly the only show in my childhood that the entire family would watch together. One of our all time favorite contestants was Ethan Zohn, winner of season 3, Survivor Africa. We loved the way that he approached the game and the way he approached life, with a smile. We never knew that he would have a direct impact on our life. 

One morning my mom took my younger brother to an appointment with his Occupational Therapist (for those who know me well, this relationship has also influenced my life greatly) and sat down to read a People magazine while waiting for Zack to finish. As she was reading she flipped to an article about Ethan Zohn. The article was about Ethan developing cancer after winning Survivor, the symptoms he had before his diagnosis and how he was dealing with the disease. Miraculously enough, the symptoms that Ethan had prior to cancer were an exact replica of my brother's: a mysterious non-rash itching sensation. My mom couldn't have driven home faster  to take my brother to get a blood test and chest X-Ray for Hodgkins Lymphoma. After hours of prayer, self prescribed diagnosis, and restless nights, an article in People Magazine gave us the diagnosis we so cherished, although a diagnosis much harder than we could have ever imagined. David had to take a year off from school (and if any of you know David, it was extremely hard for him to not be perpetually be on the move). After hours of chemo and radiation, I am happy to say that David is in complete remission and doing tremendously well as a 3L at Harvard Law School. 

After this long, convoluted story you must be thinking, well that is entirely awesome, but what the heck does that have to do with your internship? It just so happens that Ethan Zohn was one of the co-founders of Grassroot Soccer. He wanted to use the money he made from Survivor to help people who are affected by HIV/AIDS and somehow intertwine his passion for soccer (he played professionally in Zimbabwe before Survivor). When he came to Virginia Tech this past fall semester to share his story with our campus, I could not have been more excited as I bought my ticket a month in advance. I was hoping for the opportunity to share my brother's story with him and let him know how much he meant to my family.

The night he came to speak at Blacksburg I was nervously excited to meet him, but thought he had probably had hundreds of conversations with people that had been affected by his story of cancer. Before I arrived for the ceremony I thought it would be a gathering of about 30-50 people and a pretty short, informal ceremony. When I showed up to the ceremony it turned out there were over 200 people and dinner was to be served, much fancier than I had imagined! Most people were dressed formally for the occasion which, however I rolled up in my normal school attire: a VT hoodie and jeans, which made me stick out like a Hokie in Charlottesville. I was already a little anxious for my conversation with Ethan and all these other surprises definitely set my nerves at a faster pace. As tables were called up to serve themselves dinner,  I was able to make my approach to Ethan. I came up him and said, "Hey I've got a crazy story for you if you've got the time to listen." He said, "Fire away, I'm all ears!" 

As I told David's story, you could see Ethan's eyes light up, it turned out that he had been told plenty of times how much of a hero he was to people for winning Survivor. However, he had never heard a story of how his cancer had impacted another individual--which he said was the true test of survival. In fact he had deliberated for a long time whether he wanted to go public with the disease or fight it personally with his family. He said that David's story was confirmation to him that he had done the right thing. He was able to write a personal note to David and during the ceremony he had me stand up and tell David's story to everyone in attendance. If my nerves were already running a 100mph that really put me into overdrive. I think I breezed through the entire story in less than 30 seconds, I was so nervous! However, I will never forget that night and the phone conversation I had afterwards with my mom and brother.

Later in the ceremony, Ethan spoke about Grassroot Soccer, what it was about, and how you could get involved. He said if you really want to make a difference you can intern with us in Africa for a year. It would be an understatement to say I was intrigued. I ended up emailing him the next day which started the road to my application with Grassroot Soccer. 

This line of crazy circumstances has proven to me that this is where the Lord is leading me this next year. I continue to pray that the Lord use me the way he intends and that my own selfish desires never interfere with his plan. Although, I am excited beyond belief for the next year, I am still scared to death as to how to the Lord will use and mold me. As I prepare for the trip of a lifetime, I ask that you continue to keep me, my brother, and Ethan in your prayers.

Ethan's poster around campus

For those interested in Ethan Zohn’s battle with cancer here is a recent update:

No comments:

Post a Comment